Sunday, November 4, 2012

Geography 7 Lab 4


The ArcGIS was quiet confusing first time because there are too many functions on the application. After I became more familiar with the tools, I think it is an amazing program that we can manage the map and data very detail but sometimes simple functions such as changing fonts, moving objects, and coloring the objects became very complicated for me. At this point when I finished the map and poster, I am still confusing with some points that were mentioned on the tutorial. I think it will be more comfortable for me to complete the tutorial several more times.

The purpose for the ArcGIS program is to answer complicated GIS questions. For this assignment, our question is about a proposed airport expansion. The question is easily answered by the applying of spatial data set to a visual model that is convenient to the users. The program consists of rich functions that we can easily find out the answers for the complicated questions.

I think this application has many potential. It able the users to explore much more beyond the simple map making process. In reality, it will be very difficult for a normal user to generate a complicated chart or graph but you can analyze both of them by using the program. The data can always clearly represented by the program. Also, the program allows the users to access to many function, such as drawing and editing. It becomes very convenient when there is such a long list of build-in tools in the program.

Next, there are still some pitfalls to the ArcGIS program. For such a complicated system, users need such a long time to experience and learn about it. Most of the time, users need to put more time in learning about the program rather than learning the knowledge of his/her own fields. Overall, I think the most important pitfalls for the program is that it is not user-friendly enough. For me, I need to review the tutorial every time in each step. Sometimes even with the tutorial, I am still confusing in some parts.

No comments:

Post a Comment