Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Geography 7 Lab 3


ZoomGeog 7 Lab 3 My map is created about some possible places that you can visit during a road trip in San Francisco.
This map marked some famous spots, such as the fisherman's Wharf, Angel Island, and the Golden Gate Bridge. I chose San Francisco as my map because I had been there once time during the last spring break. I want to give some advice and suggestions for all of my readers for planning their trip to San Francisco. Several types of activities that I marked on the map are including dinning, visiting, and hiking. The city of San Francisco is really mixed with multi-culture, such as Japanese and Chinese, and it is worth visiting.

As mentioned in the class, there are many potentials, pitfalls, and consequences of using neogeography. Neogeography allows normal citizens to create their own map by the web 2.0. Before the invention of technologies such as Google Maps, people will never imagine that they can work and process their own maps by their preferences. Now, as we can use satellite maps on the computer or smart phone, neogeography has raised the people's attention about their geographic life. Also, the use of neogeography are not required people to have professional training so it is very convenient.

However for the above map, it was totally created and decided by myself. Since I am not a professional map maker, my map may carry my biases and false information. This will lead to a possible pitfalls and confuse the readers that what I chose to show or not show. For my road trip's map, the readers may miss many tourist spots in San Francisco because they are too concentrated to my suggestions. Most of the time, the other people will be misled by your maps because of the lack or missing information. Also, many people are questioning about the safety of their privacy. As we know, the online satellite maps are even providing the street view function that may offended the privacy of citizens. 

No comments:

Post a Comment